Die een is ontvang van Joan:
Vetkoek filled with curried Mince
· 10 minutes to make
· Serves 30
Sort of like a bread that you deep-fry with a hole inside. Put a filling of curried mince, chicken or cheese and syrup inside. It can be made for main course with salad or as an appetizer. Traditional South African.
Ingredients for Vetkoek or ready made from Spar
· 3 kg white bread flour
· 2 tablespoons, heaped salt
· 2 tablespoons, heaped instant yeast
· 2 litre lukewarm water (you may need more or less)
· 2 tablespoons +1 teaspoon oil
· 2 tablespoons +1 teaspoon white grape vinegar
· 2 heaped tablespoons
· oil for deep frying
How to make it
· Combine the bread flour, salt and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.
· Mix water 2 tbsp+1 tsp oil, vinegar and sugar together.
· Add to dry ingredients.
· Mix well.
· Knead for at least 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic but still slack.
Remove the required amount of dough from the bowl and freeze the rest in a container with an air-tight lid.
· Cover remaining sough with a sheet of greased plastic.
· Leave in a warm place to rise until double in bulk.
· Shape the dough into small vetkoeke (they increase in size when fried.).
· Deep-fry until golden brown outside and cooked inside.
· Serve with sweet or savoury as main meal or snack.
· If you buy the ready dough, then just make a hole in the middle of your Vetkoek and prepare as above.