Fall-Off-The-Bone Ribs and Barbecue Sauce
Serves Makes 2 racks of ribs, serves 4-6
For the ribs
• heavy foil
• 2 racks of ribs* (3 tot 4kg)
• rub - your favourite dry rub
For the sauce
• 2 cups ketchup
• 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoons celery seed
• 2 cups water
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 4-8 drops Tabasco sauce
1. Lay out a generous amount of heavy foil on a large rimmed
baking sheet. Lay one rack of ribs on the foil and rub generously with
Applewood rub. You can be generous. I used 2-3 tablespoons per rack, but it is up
2. Wrap the foil around the ribs so that it is completely
3. Repeat with the other rack of ribs.
4. Let the ribs sit for 30 minutes. Or overnight. Or no time
at all, if you're in a hurry.
5. Preheat your oven to 250F or 120C.
6. Put the ribs in the oven and roast for about 3 hours. Take
the ribs out when they are fork- tender.
For the sauce:
1. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a pot.
Stir together over medium high heat until the mixture comes
to a boil.
2. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes,
until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool. It
will thicken more as it cools down.
3. When the ribs are done, take them out of the oven and
unwrap the foil. Cut the ribs into 1, 2, or 3 piece sections, whatever you
4. Heat your grill to medium high, about 450F or 230C.
5. Generously brush the ribs with the barbecue sauce. Or pull
an Eric and dunk them in the sauce completely. (The ribs are cooked.)
6. Grill the ribs for about 2-3 minutes per side, until there
are grill marks.
7. Remove from the grill and cover with foil until ready to
8. Serve ribs with the remaining sauce. Eat with your hands!
You can use any kind of ribs that you like.
Spare ribs or Baby Back are good.
Spare ribs are what I used for these photos.
They are a lot meatier than Baby Back, so they will serve more people.
A note on the sauce: I like to have this much sauce for 2 racks, but this is a
If you are doubling the recipe, you may only need to 1 and 1/2 the sauce
I made this once without grilling before we bought a grill.
After removing the ribs from the oven and brushing with sauce, raise the
temperature to 300F or 150C
Return it to the oven uncovered for 20 minutes.
Brush with sauce again, cook another 20 minutes, or until fork tender.