Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
800g potatoes, peeled and rinsed
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 cup pancetta (or ham, bacon…), diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
tablespoons chives, chopped
4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Cook potatoes in plenty of salted water until cooked through. Meanwhile gently fry onion until translucent and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, pancetta, onions, butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the texture with a bit of milk if necessary.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. On the baking sheet, using a ring mould, sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, then scoop potato mixture to shape the cakes—about 1 1/2 inch thick. Press down slightly with the back of a spatula and finish with another thin layer of breadcrumbs. Remove the ring mould and repeat the process.
5. Bake in the oven at 400°F (190°C) for 10 minutes, or until golden and serve warm. Notes: You can add grated parmesan cheese on top of the potato cakes.
Source of recipe and pictures: www.eatwell101.com